Thursday, January 7, 2010

If I smoke and I spray myself with perfume and wash my hands, can I be harassed by a fellow employee or boss?

I've been with this company for 2 years. Over the past 3 months one of my fellow workers complains of me smelling like smoke. I spray with perfume and wash my hands before I come into work. When I come back from break and lunch I've been told by my boss I have to spray myself with Febreeze and wash my hands. This same employee still complains and I'm tired of it. What are my rightsIf I smoke and I spray myself with perfume and wash my hands, can I be harassed by a fellow employee or boss?
If he wants to the boss can establish a rule that all employees who smoke must stop now and forever subject to termination. It's been tried, ruled on, appealed, and upheld.





So fi the boss is letting you keep your job you're getting all the breaks you are entitled to...If I smoke and I spray myself with perfume and wash my hands, can I be harassed by a fellow employee or boss?
That is absolutely ridiculous. Start telling them they need to be sprayed down each time they use the bathroom because you can smell their 'discarded waste' on them and it is making you sick. Make sure they wash their hands and be outside the door with the bottle of Febreeze.





Smoking DOES smell gross, but not to the point to take it to the level they did.


When I used to smoke I'd wear gloves and a ponytail and 'smoking jacket' and take them all off before work.....





But really, they are way overboard.
The honest fact is even if you spray perfume....wash your hands before/during work.....spray Febreeze..chew gum.... It will not work. Because you smoke you can;t smell it and assume it is not there but in reality even after you finish smoking a cigarette the smell lingers in your hair, clothes, shoes, skin, car, furniture,bed,...People that don't smoke will smell the smoke on you no matter what you do....


I have to agree with the 1st poster they will try to find another reason to fire you. But legally they can;t fire you due to the fact you are a smoker...


Good luck
Ugh, most disgusting habit I can think of. The only thing that smells worse than a cigarette is a woman's perfume over that horrible smell. Why would you even do that? Do NOT listen to Summer, she is wrong. I work at a government installation, they went completely smoke free and the ladies that cover that smell with perfume and then ride the elevators are talked to about it once and then disciplinary action is taken.
uh...none.








Same as any other employee with an odor problem that management has to deal with.


For the misinformed. Every state but Montana has at will employment. They can fire you for a bad hair day; or any reason they choose other than EEOC sanctioned protections. Smoking is not one. Odor complaints from co-workers isn't either.





They can fire you. You probably can collect unemployment.





Give it up 8-5
There's nothing they can do about it...If you're smoking on your breaks and before work it's too bad. They can't fire you BUT they will probably try to find some other reason to and your boss can't make you spray yourself, he/she is discriminating against you for being a smoker, which is illegal.
If your smoking, even outside of work, is interfering with other employees ability to do their work, you can be fired for this. I would strongly suggest quitting. (quitting smoking, that is.)
You have a right to quit.





Unless you have a contract, they can fire you for a lot less than this.





Start smoking in open areas (not your car).

No comments:

Post a Comment